Question

Restrict Access to Customer Maintenance to just "Ship to" tab

• 21 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Is it possible to restrict a user’s ability to add/modify information in Customer Maintenance to just the “Ship to” tab?  We’re running Epicor 10.

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 4

You can use field security, but there are so many fields to prevent access, I suspect it’s easier just to make a customized UI that contains a bare minimum of fields on the Customer Detail page, and delete or hide all the other sheets other than Ship To.  Then in menu security you would direct those users to the customized form, and users in the appropriate security group, to the normal one that can change anything.

There is another approach (some companies are avoiding UI customizations due to the up-and-coming Kinetic interface) which would be to use a pre-processing BPM to check what field is being changed in Customer, check the user’s security group, and error-out if unauthorized.

Thanks for the reply.  We are looking to upgrade to Kinetic.  Why would we avoid the UI customization?  Would we lose access to it in Kinetic?

Userlevel 4

I understand that under Kinetic, users and system managers will still have access to WinForms (the Windows versions of the common screens we’ve been using since E9) for a period of years to come.  “At least two years” was the buzz at Insights last year, but I hear from insiders it will be considerably longer.  During this time, we can still customize the WinForms screens, still hang them in menus and have our users continue to use them.  But we do understand the WinForms screens are being phased out, and any UI customizations will eventually have to be redesigned for the new web-like interface.

For this reason, while we’re not avoiding UI customization completely, the sunsetting of the interface does figure in to our decisions of where to put custom code logic.

I attended a K21 UI customization session at Insights last year, and during the demo it was pointed out that several features of UI customization in the new Kinetic interface screens weren’t ready for prime time.  I didn’t get a list because the class moved so quickly.  But it’s a bit of a moving target, since the latest K21 was going into General Availability at the time.  I think it was already pushed to cloud users, and on-premise early adopters were just starting their acceptance testing.

Userlevel 2

Another option is to build an updatable dashboard.  My understanding is that this is available in Kinetic as well.  Once you build that then you can use menu security to control who can update that part of the customer master.

Userlevel 3

@john.chin 

another option to create a BPM (Data Directive) and security group of users, this BPM will be on any Update/New customer record to check if the change is anything except Ship to for users belong to this specific group then stop.