Question

RMA: INS-STK Post to 3 GL Accounts (COS Labor, COS Material, COS Overhead)?

When we receive a RMA and dispose it to stock it creates the INS-STK transactions and Debits/Credits the  the following GL accounts based on out system configuration as it applies to  the Inventory Transaction Hierarchy.

Credit: Cost of Returns account from Company's Inventory COS and WIP GL control

Debit:  Inventory account from Part Class Gl control

I was asked whether or not we can have a RMA INS-STK transaction go into 3 different GL accounts?  So rather then hit the 1 account (Cost of Returns account from Company's Inventory COS and WIP ) it breaks up the posted value into COS Labor, COS Material, COS Overhead.  (Each being a different Chart of Accounts).  Apparently this is similar to how Epicor works doing a sale? (There are 3 similar accounts where the Labor/Material/Overhead is  posted to).  They also want to to make sure that the value which is applied to these accounts reflects the historical cost that  went out for not the current cost.

I’m pretty sure this involves posting rule modifications.

How would I go about learning to make such a modification?

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

You are correct. You will have to modify the “GL Transaction Type” COSAndWIP and modify in “Customization” this posting rules.

You will need to duplicate it, so you have 3 times this Posting Rules and then you will need to change the “Extended Cost” by Material Cost, Burden Cost, Labor Cost

Of course, you need to do this in a test environment first.

Thierry

Oh….that almost seems too easy. I am going to give that a go in Dev and see what does (or doesn't) happen!  Thanks.  I’ll post back with results.

Userlevel 1

It really depend of the change you have to do, sometime it is very easy but sometime it can take more time then expected but the modification of the Posting Rules can really save time and make the financial people happy !

If you have any question don’t hesitate to contact us, as a International Partner of Epicor, we had to modify the posting rules for different customers to answer some local and specific group requirements.

You can contact me at tco@@pse.be

Good luck with the change,

Thierry

Userlevel 1

Hello Again,

I had some time today, so I did a modification in my demo system to duplicate what you were looking for.

In fact, the Posting Rules that impact the Cost of Sales for RMA Returns is already split between Burden, Labor & Material Cost.

If you change the posting rules to run in detail in place of summary, you will see that the Cost of Sales will be split between the different element.

I suppose your posting rules is setup as “summaryze” and because the 3 posting rules are using the same function it brings the same account and you only see one line. So, if you chnage this to “No Summarization”, you will already see that the amount is split.

Now, to change the account and have one different account for each tyoe of cost.

They are two options : 

Option 1

---------------

1° Add 3 Context in your GL Control to assign 3 different account for Cost of Return, so you have Cost of Returns - Material, Cost of Returns + Labour, Cost of Returns Burden, so also can have one for Cost of Return Rounding & Cost of Return Sub contractor.

This need to be done in the Product Group GL Control, Part Product Group & Inventory COS and WIP. So, you cover all the case.

This is an example for the additional context for Burden in GL Control Type Inventory COS and WIP: 

2° Duplicate for each type the Function (copy/paste)

and then assign the Context you have create above :

Option 2

You modify directly the different “Posting Rules” : 

and you replace on each of them te libe that call the function and replace it to call the GL Control Context you want to use.

In my test, I did the first option and it was working fine but it is a little bit longer to do. It take me around 1 hour to do the modifcation, add the context for burden only and test the process.

Concerning  your other question “They also want to to make sure that the value which is applied to these accounts reflects the historical cost that  went out for not the current cost.”.

I believe you need to see what you are doing in your process at this level : 

depending of what you do there will inpact the cost use by the RMA : 

I hope all this help.

Thierry

Platinum Serivces Europe

tco@pse.be

This is great thanks! I am playing around with your original thought at the moment. I Copied the  posting rule 3 times for the different costs as well as the function that get the GL account.  I was also starting to implement your recent suggestion as well.  I was concerned however with the “No Summery” option.  It would appear it affects all posting rules not just the one I was looking at?  I would need to see if that would be an issue if that the case.  

Userlevel 1

You are correct changing to no summuryze will affect all transaction within this GL Transaction type however the only reason I was metionning “no summarization” is because if you change to that and you have not change the posting rules you will see that the amount was already split in different ellement (material, labour,….).  When you use summaryze as the account was the same you only had one total amount.

So, as soon you will assign 3 or 4 different accounts, you can keep summaryze because in that case as the account will be different it will keep the detail as you wish.

I hope this help,

Thierry