Question

Scrap and material allocations

• 19 May 2021
  • 4 replies

I am confused by how Epicor handles scrap on production jobs. When scrap is posted on an operation and their was material assigned to that operation the material allocation is reduced by the amount consumed. The issue I have is that the system still assumes that the full amount will be completed on the job. For example I have a one to one relationship between a component and a finished part. The job calls for 10 of the parent and allocates demand for 10 of the component. If scrap is posted in production for 1 of the parent parts the amount of demand on MRP for the component is reduced by one. MRP still says I can expect all 10 of the finished parts. How do you make a finished part without component material? Is there something missing in our setup that causes this? We are on 10.2.400.17.

Thanks. 

4 replies

If you run Production Yield Recalculation Process as a recurring task daily, it will reduce the job qty’s to account for losses and any remaining OPs with materials tied to them will show a lower qty required.

Negatives are that labor reporting errors (like reporting an OP complete short) can result in incorrect adjustments. 

I find it easier just to run this SQL query out of excel a few times a day & review the jobs returned quickly and either correct reporting errors or just do the job qty adjustment. 

SELECT        JobOper.JobNum, JobOper.OprSeq, JobOper.OpCode, JobOper.RunQty, JobOper.QtyCompleted
FROM            JobProd INNER JOIN
                         JobOper ON JobProd.Company = JobOper.Company AND JobProd.JobNum = JobOper.JobNum
WHERE        (JobProd.OrderNum = 0) AND (JobOper.JobComplete = 0) AND (JobOper.OpComplete = 1) AND (JobOper.RunQty > JobOper.QtyCompleted)
order by JobOper.JobNum, JobOper.OprSeq Desc

Thank you, Robert. I run a similar BAQ for production postings. 

I was hoping there would be a way to automatically increase the allocated material on the job to take into account the amount lost to scrap. In our environment we would increase the amount of parent  ran to make up for the scrap. The issue is you do not see the additional components required until after they are consumed. The planner ends up getting a call that there is not enough of the component material to make up for the scrap.

Are you issuing material to the job or backflushing material? Or using Job Fulfillment WB?

If you are issuing material to jobs and there was additional material available the person issuing material could pull the material and issue it to the job to correct this, right?

If there is no more material available then a decision needs to be made to get more material or closing the job short.

I will look into the query you show that is interesting.

We backflush most material. So I believe in order to balance everything out we would need to reduce the original job by the amount scrapped and create a new job for the difference.