Question

Ship FROM site

• 24 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Client is multi-site. All orders are processed through site A. But the products are heavy, so we only want to ship from the closest site to the customer, which is often B or C. 

On the order release, I can specify what site I want to ship from. But is there are way to assign that customer to that site so that when we start an order a customer, the ship FROM site is automatically selected?

6 replies

Jay,

We have this same problem, and attempted to automate the site selection.  We had a partner build a customization that involves adding a UD field to the customer master to designate their default site, and then a lot of BPM logic to default order line releases to that site when possible.  It generally gets the job done, but hijacking the base logic for determining the release site can be surprisingly problematic. 

You have to contend with how to handle parts that aren’t set up in the selected site, and ensuring that part defaults (like buy-to-order, make direct, or drop ship) are populated based on the selected site, not the site the user is logged into.  Unsurprisingly, sales kits are the most problematic, because now you’re contending with the parent part, component part, and BOM setups in each site.  If all parts are set up exactly the same in each site, it wouldn’t be as challenging, though.  Of course, if your order entry staff are also launching fulfillment workbench to allocate/release the order, they’d have to change their site and then launch fulfillment workbench, rather than launching from Order Entry.

We’re always looking for new ideas to handle this, so I’m hoping someone has an innovative solution!

Liz

Userlevel 3

Is the part specific to the customer or is the same part used for multiple customers?

Userlevel 1

@djo The part would be used by multiple customers.

Userlevel 1

@lizb 

Thanks Liz,

That gives us a head start. I don’t think I’ll be able to convince the users to switch sites before they add a Sales Order.

Userlevel 1

You can set sales sites in Product Group, so the release always sets to that site. The salesperson can change it but even if the sales person is in Site A, the default can be Site B.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @doug.harvey. I had not previously paid any attention to those options.