Question

Ship from stock still in inventory after packed

• 24 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

While most of our finished goods are set up as non-stock (i.e. they default to Make to Order and ship from the job/WIP), we still sell a large number of parts from stock. However, we’ve discovered that after we create a packID and add parts to it, the parts remain in inventory until they are shipped. This causes a big hassle when one of these parts that is waiting to ship comes up on cycle count, because then the counter has to track down where it is physically located due to it not actually being in that inventory location.

Is there anyway to get those items out of inventory, like into some sort of WIP, where they are no longer in an inventory location, until they ship and the final ...-CUS transaction occurs?

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Are your Goods Out bins part of the main warehouse?  If they are then I would suggest creating a separate warehouse and bins for this area as when you setup cycle counts it is for each warehouse.

Alternatively you could make these bins non-nettable, by default these are excluded from counts

We have the shipments go into a dock location and when we cycle count we count that location as there.  When cycle counting we match up the outstanding orders to make sure the quantity is correct and nothing is hanging out in that location falsely.

Userlevel 3

There are a couple of reports which may assist the cycle count individual(s):

Scheduled Shipment

SO Pick List

Have a look at them to see if they will provide the information, so the counter does not have to track down the item.

Userlevel 2

@sue.lowden if the location is non-nettable, though, wouldn’t MRP  suggest another job or po suggestion where there was no available demand? 

I guess I can test that and see what it does.

@glenn.owers Thanks. I will take a look at the first one. We’ve greatly modified the SO Pick List, so that won’t help in this instance.

Userlevel 1

We do as sue.lowden does above. We have a separate warehouse that we don’t cycle count. For pick from stock items we pick into the “ship warehouse.” Things are not usually there for long before being master packed but even a day can could cause a lot of confusion otherwise.

We also have WIP bins in our ship warehouse. As well as some bins where we stage material for jobs in the ship warehouse bins. In general we don’t want to worry about cycle counts for anything that is in process. Parts that get moved back to the main warehouse are available for sale or other jobs. It is not perfect, but I have no idea how we would chase down parts that in process to count them accurately.