Question

Time Phase Inquiry - Definition of Terms

• 11 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3

Our Supply Chain team has been completely replaced over the last 12-18 months.  They are stuggeling with some of the concepts within the Time Phase screen and how to interpret what the data and screen is telling them.

Some background on Part A, which is a Purchased Part:

Inventory

Min. O/H = 0   Max. O/H = 0   Safety Stock = 27,005  Min. Order Qty = 4,000  Lead Time = 98 days

Manufacturing

Min. Lot Size = 60,000  Max. Lot Size = 0  Lot Multiple = 15

Time Phase, is telling us to expedite an existing PO for a quantity of 40,000, which I agree with and can explain to the Supply Chain.

Later on, I see a “Suggestion for Warehouse XX” with a receipt quantity of 60,000.  I’m guessing the quantity is being triggered by the Mfg. Min. Lot Size of 60,000.  Time Phase is telling us to pull from another warehouse, this quantity of 60,000.  I believe the Procurement team is reading this as a PO Suggestion to order 60,000, even though this is a Purchased part, but someone has entered data into the Manufacturing fields.

We have been told by an Epicor consultant, the manufacturing data is ignored if the part is Purchased, but the Supply Chain team seem to believe the Suggestions are being driven by the values in the Mfg. Min. Lot Size and Lot Multiple fields.

Does my logic make sense or am I wrong to listen to the Epicor consultant?

Can anyone shed some insight as to what the definition of “Suggestion for Warehouse” means within the Time Phase data?

Thank you.

1 reply

Hello Glenn !

To my knowledge and experiment, Manufacturing fields are indeed influencing the purchasing suggestion. However, I would strongly recommend not to double them. What I mean by that is you have both a MinOrder Qty of  40 000 and a Min Lot Size of 60 000. Those are contradictory. If MRP calculates your needs, what is the minimum order he would recommend to you ? 40 000 or 60 000 ?

Use one or the other, but not both or your suggestions are going to be non-understandable. 

The Multiple and the Max Lot Size, however, appear only in the manufacturing section, so you can use them and they will be taken into account in your MRP calculations, for both purchased and manuf items. 

As for this “Suggestion for Warehouse”, I confirm, it is a purchasing suggestion. I have always thought it was weird from Epicor not to name it “Purchase Sugg” instead, but what can I say ? It is a Purchasing suggestion that you can find in New PO Suggestion.

Hope this helps,

Caroline Paré