Question

Using Solution Workbench to Migrate Kinetic Deployed Dashboards and their Custom Layer

• 1 October 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi we are in the process of testing the new Kinetic 2021.1.12 version of Epicor and have it installed in our test environment. I have created a solution and have turned on solution tracking. I have brought up all our Dashboards in Dashboard Entry and Deployed them by clicking on “Generate Application”. I have edited the form in Application Studio creating a new layer and made changes to it to make look and feel more like it looked in Classic. I have saved these changes and published them.  I then went into Menu Maintenance and changed their menu item to read program type “Kinetic App” and selected the customization layer to the new layer I just saved and published. Now we have upgraded our Pilot account to the new Kinetic 2021.1.12 and I have my solution full of all my changes. I built the solution and imported it into our Pilot account.  When I click on a dashboard I get an error saying “Cannot Connect, Server not available”.  I have to go into Dashboard Entry and deploy it again by clicking on “Generate Application”. I can then run the dashboard which brings up my custom layer BUT...the changes that I made to the custom layer are all gone and I have to make the changes again and re-publish it thru Application Studio.  Has anyone else ran into this problem??? I talked with Epicor Support and they are aware of having to re-deploy the dashboard and have sent it to development.  But, they need to try to duplicate my custom layer problem before they can submit it.  Now it looks like I have to do all the same work I did in Test in my Pilot account and then once we go Live on it I will need to do it again!  This is redundant and very taxing for me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 reply

Userlevel 4

If you use Pilot as most people do (multiple test cutovers from Pilot to Live during a round of upgrade testing) then once it’s deployed, customized, installed in your 2021 Pilot system, then it should come over to Live each time you cut over Pilot to Live, going forward.  You’ll want to put steps in your cutover script to verify it made the trip successfully.

HTH

Monty.