Question

What is the benefit of warehouse zones?

• 15 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

When we went live, we decided to only set up several warehouses in each facility and each warehouse only had 1 bin. This was a huge improvement from our legacy system where each facility was only 1 warehouse. Cycle counting was a mess if you can imagine. 

We are ready to make the next step of creating multiple bins in each warehouse for better material traceability. We ran across Warehouse Zones in this process.

I’m curious who uses warehouse zones and what is the benefit. Right now I can’t see to find how they would be helpful. Our bins are mainly in production areas so we aren’t shipping product from any of them.  If there isn’t a good reason to use them, I would rather not set them up and have to maintain them. 

3 replies

Userlevel 1

The only benefit of zones that I know if is so that you can segregate picking by zone. For example you make furniture and you have a steel area, lumber area and an upholstery area. Last think you want is the guy picking oiled steel to then go pick upholstery fabric. Even h though both materials on on the job. So you divide the picks by zone. Steel guys pick steel, lumber guys pick lumber, upholstery guys pick upholstery. I think that to do that you need to be using AMM and picking from Fulfillment Workbench.

Userlevel 1

That seems to be the only benefit I can find too. 

Userlevel 3

Similarly if you have really tall shelving you can designate a zone for bins that are way up high and will require an elevator type forklift.  Nice to be reminded to take the right forklift for a pick.

-Todd