------------------------------
Scott Lepley
Programmer/Analyst
Flight System Industrial products
Carlisle PA

4 replies

Userlevel 2
​For all intents, yes. We're not 7x24 in each location, but we are almost there. One location is effectively 5x24+2x16, another 2 locations are 5x16, but at a 6 hour time zone difference... what do you want to talk about?

Michael Gross
IT Manager
Ashworth Bros., Inc.
Winchester VA
Userlevel 4
Upgrading your live environment, with respect to both updates and releases.  How do you manage the timing of the upgrade without impacting operations?

Scott Lepley
Programmer/Analyst
Flight System Industrial products
Carlisle PA

Scott

I am a little new to this Users Group.     We went on the cloud in February on Epicor 10.       It was a very painful process.    We have been using Epicor since 1996.   Their people treated us like we were dummies.     It wasn't pretty.    Anyway, we have not experience any down time nor any issues with the upgrades and patches that we have been given since then.   However, we have had other issues that have shut us down for as long as 24 hours or more.     We have been unable to print a total of 5 times since going live.    In addition, we have had two instances of slow speed and performance.  In fact, I reported that today and they sent an email to all on the cloud saying they are experiencing system issues and are working on it.   

I have to be honest and say that this is so much easier than having our own server.   I always waited until the last minute for any patches and upgrades because of the time involved but this has been seamless.

Hope this helps and is what you are talking about...

Thanks.

Kim

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

------
Userlevel 2
​Fair question Scott as it is always of concern. We have an entirely separate server (virtual) setup to mimic production. We skip a lot of the smaller point releases unless we need something specific, but we use this separate server to test everything - especially the configurators. We also use this server to do a dry-run on the whole upgrade/patch including everything down to the client install/update.

In effect this process gives me the "offline time" I'm going to need. Then I get my productions guys on the phone and we pick a time. Most of the time, I'm up at an ungodly hour on Sunday morning doing the work, but sometimes I get lucky and pick a holiday weekend or manage to convince them not to work 3rd shift or something. In Europe there is very little work on the weekend, so I['m really just working with the USA location for time on the weekend.

The fallback position (and the one we had to use for the E9 to E10 conversion that took ALL weekend) was that they would run as minimal as they could and everything was done on paper. then we had a data entry party on Monday to get the data all keyed in quickly.

We're not huge, so this is how we've been doing it. I would think that this is a real problem for the cloud folks since the updates are mandatory and on Epicor's schedule to some extent. We won't be in the cloud anytime soon, and we have a substantial server infrastructure already, so a couple of Epicor VM's is a no brainer for us to test/time everything on.

Michael Gross
IT Manager
Ashworth Bros., Inc.
Winchester VA