Question

avg cost calculation not averaging

• 22 April 2024
  • 3 replies

We have a part that appears to not be recalculating avg cost. The part number should be closer to the price paid of the last several orders. $967.38, however, the avg cost is $582.04. We haven’t purchased any of these parts that low since 2017.I looked at KBs in EpicCare and am wondering which things are excluded from avg cost calculations. Does it make a difference if purchase direct or make direct where the cost goes directly to the job? if the part goes to inspection, is it excluded from calculation? any help would be appreciated.

3 replies

Userlevel 4

The average cost calculations are applicable to only inventory-related transactions, so yes, it does make a difference if the parts are purchase direct and received directly to jobs,.

Userlevel 1

It’s new news to me, and I haven’t vetted it but I was told that Average Cost calculations reset every time the QOH goes to zero.

I don’t think the average cost “resets” when QOH goes to zero.  However, if QOH is zero and then you receive some in, the new average cost should be the unit cost on the purchase order you received them in on. 

PUR-STK and MFG-STK transactions will update the average cost.

Purchase direct and make direct do not update average cost.