shop floor tablets

• 3 February 2022
  • 4 replies

We purchased test tablets a year ago and have learned a lot including how SLOW they are!  We upgraded our WIFI but didn’t speed up to where we cant tell a drastic difference from the desktop.  Does anyone use shop floor tablets for Epicor that are live and quick? Would love to talk!

4 replies

Userlevel 2

Mpolo

Yes, trying, and no.

I purchased 3 handhelds in 2015, too slow for the shop floor.

Upgraded to new handhelds in 2020.  Still slow, and the shop floor continues to use MES on PC’s.

No, we have not found a quick interface, even after upgrading the shop WIFI.

cch

Userlevel 2

We have been providing base model Surface tablets to all employees on the shop floor for 3 years now.  Including cases and mounts from The Joy Factory. They tend to be a little slow; which I assume is the combination of WIFI and the tablets being base models.  However, overall, they work well and allow for MES, email, and any required documentation.   

Are there any special licensing requirements from Epicor to use MES on tablets? Does it just run the regular MES client? Is there anything I should be aware of before we start testing?

Are they set up as remote desktops? We tried that but was painfully slow. We set up the tablet as it’s own license and much better.