New to Epicor and seeking Input

• 17 October 2016
  • 7 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I am new to EPICOR, and actually new to my company.  I just started as Controller last week and my first task is to lead a new implementation of EPICOR 10.1 since we are currently on 6.1.  A couple of quick questions:

1. I have been told it is much better to do a new implementation instead of a data upload because of the complexity of trying to convert to 9._ and then go to 10.1.  Has anyone had that experience and do you recommend similar. 

2. We have had some challenges with the EPICOR project manager and some of their consultants.  Should I expect that from here on in?

3. Any other upgrade tips as I begin this journey?

Thanks

Neil

7 replies

Neil,

Welcome to the madness! In regards to #1 – When coming from 6.1 it’s definitely better to start fresh. All of the 6.1 customers that I’ve worked with recently have had successful upgrades on time and on budget except for the one that has decided to try to convert their data. Those guys are 2 years in, still trying to convert. It’s just too many schema changes to make the data clean up and conversion worth it.

Jennifer

From: Neil Suffa [mailto:southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 2:45 PM
To: SouthEast_List@list.epicorusers.org
Subject: [SouthEast_List] - New to Epicor and seeking Input

I am new to EPICOR, and actually new to my company. I just started as Controller last week and my first task is to lead a new implementation of EPICOR 10.1 since we are currently on 6.1. A couple of quick questions:

1. I have been told it is much better to do a new implementation instead of a data upload because of the complexity of trying to convert to 9._ and then go to 10.1. Has anyone had that experience and do you recommend similar.

2. We have had some challenges with the EPICOR project manager and some of their consultants. Should I expect that from here on in?

Thanks

Neil

Neil, Jennifer is correct. It took us about a year and a half to get to E9 from 8.03. We want to go to 10.1, but are taking a little break. LOL

From: Jennifer Mesiano [mailto:southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 3:02 PM
To: southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org
Subject: [SouthEast_List] - RE: New to Epicor and seeking Input

Neil,

Welcome to the madness! In regards to #1 – When coming from 6.1 it’s definitely better to start fresh. All of the 6.1 customers that I’ve worked with recently have had successful upgrades on time and on budget except for the one that has decided to try to convert their data. Those guys are 2 years in, still trying to convert. It’s just too many schema changes to make the data clean up and conversion worth it.

Jennifer

To: SouthEast_List@list.epicorusers.org<mailto:SouthEast_List@list.epicorusers.org>

I am new to EPICOR, and actually new to my company. I just started as Controller last week and my first task is to lead a new implementation of EPICOR 10.1 since we are currently on 6.1. A couple of quick questions:

1. I have been told it is much better to do a new implementation instead of a data upload because of the complexity of trying to convert to 9._ and then go to 10.1. Has anyone had that experience and do you recommend similar.

2. We have had some challenges with the EPICOR project manager and some of their consultants. Should I expect that from here on in?

Thanks

Neil

Userlevel 2
Welcome Neil,

I would have to echo what Jennifer has stated below. I have had the experience coming from 6.1 to Epicor 9.05.702 which we are now 10.1.400.16. We chose to re-implement as well in August of 2012. We were able to scrub our data by exporting it from the old database and cleaning it up before an import procedure. We also took the opportunity to re-evaluate our utilization of the software and how it fit the business. We did new gap analysis and determined new ways to use the new features. Once this plan was drawn up we began our execution and was on time and within budget.

As for number 2, I have had limited experience with third party consultants, but more experience with EPICOR consultants and PM. There is so many variables here, so I would recommend since you are new starting fresh with the EPICOR representatives.

Another tip I would suggest is do not under size yourself on hardware for the new setup. Whether you decide to virtualize or use metal do not under size.

Final tip ensure your implementation team “key” users are engaged with the project and spend the proper amount of time with the implementation up front. They will need to carve out a portion of their schedule to concentrate on the project. Ensure management understands this as well.

Welcome aboard and hope to you see you a local regional meeting!

Regards,
Josh

From: Bob Freeman [mailto:southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 4:05 PM

Neil, Jennifer is correct. It took us about a year and a half to get to E9 from 8.03. We want to go to 10.1, but are taking a little break. LOL

To: southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org<mailto:southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org>

Neil,

Jennifer

To: SouthEast_List@list.epicorusers.org<mailto:SouthEast_List@list.epicorusers.org>

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

We are in the same boat with preparing to upgrade to E10.1. Our story is a bit different because we are currently on E9 now. We have been an Epicor customer for almost 5 years and I was heavily involved with the initial implementation. I am happy to share what I can. Hopefully it will help.

· Epicor and consultants that I have been in discussions with agree that a new implementation is the preferred method from E9 --> E10, so I am sure that with E6 they would recommend the re-implementation. A couple reasons come to mind as to why:

o Upgrade Path: The path we need to get to prior to being able to run the upgrade to E10.1 is E9 v702. We have to get there first to even begin considering upgrade. This may be just for the E9 version but if it’s not that’s quite a climb from E6.

o The management of user defined fields is much different and I believe for the better. If you upgrade you are limited to your old databases naming conventions for the fields.

o Customizations (definition is loose with Epicor) do not migrate, they have to be re-written regardless. There is no savings to upgrade here.

· Yes. If they have a noticeable weakness as a company it is that Epicor consulting and support is average at best. That said, there are quite a few good 3rd party consulting groups that support Epicor around. Many of them are former employees of Epicor and know the system very well.

· Make sure you have a good systems definition of your organization. (Company Size, Concurrent Users, What modules you use and plan to use, level of customization, etc)

· Get acquainted with your CAM (Customer Account Manager). They have plenty of free tools to help and you will have a good baseline to work with regardless of who you select to help you get to E10.

· I do not know your companies dynamics; however, you will definitely want to ask about uplifting Epicor to the cloud. There are costs and headaches that can be minimized especially if you are small.

I hope this helps some. Good Luck.

Sean Churchfield | IAM IT Manager | DNP Imagingcomm America Corporation |
s.churchfield@dnp.imgcomm.com<mailto:s.churchfield@dnp.imgcomm.com> | Office: 724-696-8902 | Cell: 724-309-2081 | www.dnpimagingcomm.comhttp://www.dnpimagingcomm.com

Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 3:45 PM
To: SouthEast_List@list.epicorusers.org

Thanks

Neil

Neil,

1. I’d suggest treating it as a new implementation and utilizing the DMT (Data Management Tool) to migrate your data. The DMT makes the process very easy. Once you extract and cleanse your old data from v6, you’d map to the new version schema and store in a CSV, you then import to v10.x. The DMT is very intuitive and adequately documented. Additionally, we have utilized the DMT not only for migrations but also for ongoing mass updates to specific areas. We are on v9 by the way and plan to go to 10.x later next year.

2. We went through several project managers. We actually found it helpful to change during the process because some PM’s knew certain aspects of Epicor better than others. Fortunately we were able to gain more appropriate PM’s throughout the journey. Each one added their wisdom and the combined effect resulted in a good implementation.

3. Other advice:

a. Gather a Team – Don’t go it alone! And be sure the “real” key players are involved, meaning the employees that do the actual processing (PO’s, Customer Orders, Jobs, etc)

b. Learn as much about the semi-technical stuff ahead of time as possible. By this I mean BAQ’s, BPM’s, Reporting tools, Dashboards, etc. To know these ahead of time will prevent delays in moving forward as well as under-optimized customizations or unnecessary adaptations / changes to your processes. We’ve found these built-in tools to be very helpful once we became comfortable with them. Our only regret is that we didn’t master those first. While we were in our infancy with Epicor many times we didn’t realize the best solution and had to revamp later once we discovered a much better approach within the tools.

c. Take your time and do not let deadlines force you into a premature solution.

Best wishes,

Rick Howard
Plant Manager

[Description: logo2]
4841 Adams Rd.
Chattanooga, TN 37343 U.S.A.
Phone: 423.308.2971

From: Owings, Josh [mailto:southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 4:12 PM

Welcome Neil,

I would have to echo what Jennifer has stated below. I have had the experience coming from 6.1 to Epicor 9.05.702 which we are now 10.1.400.16. We chose to re-implement as well in August of 2012. We were able to scrub our data by exporting it from the old database and cleaning it up before an import procedure. We also took the opportunity to re-evaluate our utilization of the software and how it fit the business. We did new gap analysis and determined new ways to use the new features. Once this plan was drawn up we began our execution and was on time and within budget.

As for number 2, I have had limited experience with third party consultants, but more experience with EPICOR consultants and PM. There is so many variables here, so I would recommend since you are new starting fresh with the EPICOR representatives.

Another tip I would suggest is do not under size yourself on hardware for the new setup. Whether you decide to virtualize or use metal do not under size.

Final tip ensure your implementation team “key” users are engaged with the project and spend the proper amount of time with the implementation up front. They will need to carve out a portion of their schedule to concentrate on the project. Ensure management understands this as well.

Regards,
Josh

To: southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org<mailto:southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org>

Neil,

Jennifer

Thanks

Neil

For #2, if anyone is interested, I’m having a Webinar on October 27th that goes over how to manage your project and what to expect. The information is really geared around being about to control your project internally and things you should be doing on your end to ensure a successful go-live. Sounds like this might be beneficial for some of you here.

I just rolled this out last Friday so there are still some spots open if any of you would like to register.

https://singularevents.webex.com/singularevents/onstage/g.php?MTID=e67148b28ad240077c3b345620851bdea

Jennifer

From: Howard, Rick [mailto:southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 3:33 PM
To: 'southeast_list@list.epicorusers.org'

Neil,

1. I’d suggest treating it as a new implementation and utilizing the DMT (Data Management Tool) to migrate your data. The DMT makes the process very easy. Once you extract and cleanse your old data from v6, you’d map to the new version schema and store in a CSV, you then import to v10.x. The DMT is very intuitive and adequately documented. Additionally, we have utilized the DMT not only for migrations but also for ongoing mass updates to specific areas. We are on v9 by the way and plan to go to 10.x later next year.

2. We went through several project managers. We actually found it helpful to change during the process because some PM’s knew certain aspects of Epicor better than others. Fortunately we were able to gain more appropriate PM’s throughout the journey. Each one added their wisdom and the combined effect resulted in a good implementation.

3. Other advice:

a. Gather a Team – Don’t go it alone! And be sure the “real” key players are involved, meaning the employees that do the actual processing (PO’s, Customer Orders, Jobs, etc)

b. Learn as much about the semi-technical stuff ahead of time as possible. By this I mean BAQ’s, BPM’s, Reporting tools, Dashboards, etc. To know these ahead of time will prevent delays in moving forward as well as under-optimized customizations or unnecessary adaptations / changes to your processes. We’ve found these built-in tools to be very helpful once we became comfortable with them. Our only regret is that we didn’t master those first. While we were in our infancy with Epicor many times we didn’t realize the best solution and had to revamp later once we discovered a much better approach within the tools.

c. Take your time and do not let deadlines force you into a premature solution.

Best wishes,

Rick Howard
Plant Manager

[Description: logo2]
4841 Adams Rd.
Chattanooga, TN 37343 U.S.A.
Phone: 423.308.2971

Welcome Neil,

Regards,
Josh

Neil,

Jennifer

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil – and welcome! Bob (from below) and I are with the same company, and as he mentioned, our transition to E9 was not an easy one. Regarding #1, we actually did both (a data uplift for half our company, and a fresh implementation for the other half – we were bringing the 2 halves together during our E9 implementation). The uplift was because of the sheer amount of historical data that the one half of the company wanted to keep (call logs, etc). The half that we did the fresh implementation for had considerably less data, so it made sense to start from scratch. So it can depend on the circumstances – but in your case, coming from such an old version, I would wholeheartedly agree with what you’ve been told – fresh would be the way to go. The steps you’d have to take to get to 10.1 from 6.x are staggering and (IMO) wouldn’t be anywhere near the effort.

Regarding #2 – we had some issues with our Epicor project manager(s) during the implementation (in terms of them not really adding a lot of value), but the vast majority of the consultants we’ve worked with from the Technical Solutions Group have been exemplary (Scott Smith, Ian Bustamante, Robert Brown, to name a few). We also have had one or two duds – my recommendation would be to push back to Epicor in those instances and get them to send someone (or engage someone) with the knowledge you’re looking for. Be insistent, especially if you’re feeling the ones they have engaged for you just don’t seem to be cutting it.

Regarding #3 – to further expand on something Josh mentioned, DO NOT undersize yourself on hardware. It has always been my personal policy to take the hardware recommendations from Epicor and then double them, when purchasing a server for an Epciro application. Even doing that, during our transition to E9, we had hardware performance problems that quite literally crippled us, despite the early review of an Epicor hardware “specialist” who all but laughed at the specs for the server we were putting together for purchase and asked if we were planning on launching a space station or something with it. So load testing (actual, real life load testing) is huge – don’t rely on what Epicor says will be “more than sufficient” for hardware – a good rule of thumb is to take their max recommendation as your starting point and build up from there. Also, be certain that your E10 server (if you’re planning on using metal, to borrow Josh’s term) is dedicated – nothing else on the box except E10. Last tip – it has oftentimes been our experience that the EUG forums are exponentially more helpful than Epicor support is……utilize them, the amount of experience (like, actual real-world in-the-field experience) at your fingertips there is staggering and will most likely be your saving grace many times over during the course of this journey upon which you are about to embark.

Best of luck – and keep us posted!

[cid:image001.png@01D229EA.A36643C0]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail and any attached files transmitted are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. It may contain information which is covered by professional or other privilege. If you are neither the intended recipient of this e-mail nor the person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete from your system. EBSCO Industries, Inc., its subsidiaries and divisions, accept no responsibility for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from the use of this e-mail.

Welcome Neil,

Regards,
Josh

Neil,

Jennifer

Thanks

Neil