Question

Dual Sourcing parts by set requirements

• 2 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Is it possible in Epicor to have PO suggestions change supplier based on a certain rule or requirement? We dual source some parts between suppliers and right now Epicor always suggests buying from the primary supplier. We would like to have it suggest one or the other based on some sort of rule. A rule example would be order every other month from Supplier A vs Supplier B, or order 40% from Supplier A and 60% from supplier B or every other order from Supplier A vs Supplier B. We are open to setting a rule that works within the system. We don’t have a set standard yet, other than we know we need the capability for Epicor to suggest orders from different suppliers so we aren’t always ordering from the same one. 

4 replies

You might try switching the primary setting back and forth, not sure how you would approach a percentage distribution.  For the purpose of the customization working in future upgrades, it is always best to make it as simple as possible.

There are a number of simple ways to change the primary supplier.

Userlevel 1

Are you suggesting writing a customization that switches the primary check box? I was first wondering if there was an out of the box Epicor feature that allowed for dual sourcing. Customizations are typically our last resort because we don’t want to deal with problems in future upgrades. We are still pretty new to Epicor so just trying to get a handle on what is there out of the box vs what we need from customizations. 

I don’t know of an “out of the box” solution for this, but there is a lot I don’t know.  The solution I suggested could be done with DMT, Service Connect, REST services, or even a BPM, and probably several other ways.  I don’t think this would be a candidate for a customization.

i dont believe there is an out of the box solution for this, we have done this before for a customer, where it automatically split the PO suggestions based on percentage values in the approved supplier list.

It was a simple process that ran after MRP.