Solved

Finite Scheduling subsequent operation to different resource and capabilities

• 3 June 2021
  • 2 replies

We are a machine shop that is just starting to implement scheduling.  We are using 10.2.300 .As we have been reviewing unique requirements, one that we have identified is the desire to start a setup on a second resource when an operation is being finished on the first.  We have multiple identical pieces of equipment.  Our parts are large and require a crane to turn the part for the second operation.  Because of this, rather than performing it on the same resource as the first operation, we start setup on an adjacent machine for the second operation while operation 10 is running on the first machine as this minimizes the overall lead time to produce the part.  How do we get the scheduling engine to schedule operation 10 to one resource (using finite scheduling) and op 20 to a different resource?  I believe Start to Start with a small overlap might accomplish this but want to confirm that this would work.

Also, we have had discussions about using capabilities for both the machine and people.  Does anyone use these and how effective are they?

If you are successfully using scheduling in a machine shop with single level Methods, we would love to talk to you about how you are using it and what you have identified as best practices.

Bette Diehl

icon

Best answer by bdiehl 3 June 2021, 21:02

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2

about the only thing you can do is have the second operation designated as start-start in the operation scheduling  section.  This should keep the calendar dates close to what you want. As far as Epicor automatically assigning a different resource I don’t know if it will and certainly not pick the one you want. I have not had a lot of success with understanding anything in scheduling beyond the resource group and still end up with resource groups scheduled over capacity with finite schedule. I global reschedule once a week.

Thanks Blyke, it seems like it is quite complex.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a good consultant with in depth experience in implementing scheduling in Epicor?