Question

Freight forwarders

• 9 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4

Epicor ERP seems to have very little functionality with respect to freight forwarders, and what the application actually does have seems not to be interconnected to any other functionality where it would be useful. The freight forwarder information in Site Configuration apparently does not automatically populate into a new customer record or a new customer ship-to record, so entering any information there seems not to serve any worthwhile purpose without introducing customization. Likewise, any freight forwarder information entered in a customer record or a customer ship-to record apparently does not automatically populate, and cannot be retrieved, into a sales order as a ship-to address, so entering any information there also seem not to serve any worthwhile purpose. With respect to freight forwarders, we need to improve our capabilities to gather and document shipping information for export compliance and sales tax compliance. So, I’m wondering if I am completely missing some key aspect of the application that enables a whole bunch of “bells and whistles”. Has anyone been able to make good use of the existing functionality, either “as is” or with enhancing customizations? I’m open to any and all suggestions!

1 reply

I too would be interested in what suggestions there are. We have established the ship to’s for customers using the warehouses. We are looking at using the Mark For in the release for the address of the end destination. The Mark for information appears on the standard label and pack slip. We have modified both, but want clarification from a tax standpoint before we move forward.  It does not populate on every line item like the ship to address does. We are an Avalara user and it does not use that address for tax calculation. We are not using SST either, but are looking into it. The question gets to be, if you now know the real destination of your product, should you be charging the appropriate tax to that location and not the freight forwarder’s?