Question

How do you use Forecast Entry to forecast configurable parts?

• 10 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Currently to forecast some of our demand of our configurable Finished Goods we create firmed jobs for the top-level Phantom on a particular BOM, but it hasn’t worked out as well as we’d like simply because all the way down the BOM it is “static” demand, unless we make it “dynamic” by keeping it up with a lot of manual watching/manipulating.

So I have been playing around with using Forecast Entry to enter a proper forecast (for all non-phantom child parts on a BOM) that will consume the forecast as we fulfill that expected demand. However, the Epicor Help on Forecast Entry notes this about the forecast created:

As sales orders are created for a specific part, the MRP engine uses the quantities on these sales orders to determine the Consumed Quantity value on forecasts.

Well, that doesn’t really work when it won’t allow you to enter a forecast for a configurable part and the configurable part is what would get entered on the Sales Order, not the components. So I can import a forecast for all of the components and MRP will create unfirm jobs to fulfill them, but the forecast consumed quantity never goes above 0, which results in the forecast required quantity never decreasing. Unless I was to--again, manually--reload the forecast every time we consumed a part against that forecast. Tracking that, let alone actually doing that, would be way more work than we do now.

So how are you supposed to forecast configurable parts? How do you forecast in a way to not artificially inflate demand, drive your Buyers to purchase too much inventory (because they like to just click the buttons, rather than investigate why they’re being asked to buy something), and spend all of your Planner’s time monitoring actions against a forecast?

(we are on the most current version of Epicor 10, on Multi Tenant, switching to Public Cloud in a few weeks)

4 replies

Userlevel 1

I too am very interested in a good answer for this one. We are not currently using the E10 forecast functionality. A large portion of our sales are configured parts. Currently we use Smart Forecast to set a min and max. We update the min / max monthly. That works fine for most parts. However, one division that we are currently bringing on to E10 has very large order minimums and long lead times. Ideally, I would set a min /max taking into account things like case size, lot size etc. Then enter a seasonal forecast into the forecast module of Epicor.  That brings me back to your question about consuming the forecast. If it only consumes top line parts and not components it would have very little value.

Great question but there is no easy way to do this.  I have reached out to the product manager for the configurator as well as the MRP senior developer.  Epicor’s stance is that nobody would ever stock a configured part. Actually to be more clear, all configured parts must be configured to order and not configured to stock.  You can change that, however you will have to disconnect the configured part from the configurator.

I have explained our reasoning, but they still won’t budge.  This used to work back in E9, but since we went to E10 a few years ago, we had this problem.

I will send this tread to my Epicor developer contact to see if we can get them to budge.

Userlevel 2

I should add, that while I am curious about configurable parts, you cannot even forecast a top-level part that is not a configurable and have the forecast react dynamically to the components of that finished good. 

Any tips how people handle this, or correcting me if I’m misunderstanding/misinterpreting how it works, would be greatly appreciated.

(Great responses so far, btw. Sounds like it is not just me who finds this functionality lacking.)

Userlevel 1

I agree with dinman. The issue is not having configured parts on the shelf. We need to forecast, stock and consume the component parts that we use in the top level configured parts.