Question

Min OH Incoproration Date

• 28 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Curious what others are doing to drive a situation like this. I believe I know the answer but ready for suggestions. We have an initiative in our company of getting all our LTA parts to a 2 month inventory level, ideally we would already be there but we are not and not looking to blow up our shops with all past due jobs. The goal is to set a min-oh level to our target but that is going to generate immediate requests for jobs that are past due. We can put in a phased approach of getting there by using MPS but its not driving to the inventory rule. Essentially what I am looking for is a way to incorporate my inventory rule at a projected date such as a horizon. Again, I do not see any direct way of this and understand between forecast and mps we can plan for this but it does not drive it on the inventory target.

2 replies

I haven’t found a way to do this yet. But I’d be very interested if there was a way. It would be very helpful at the beginning and end of programs.

Userlevel 3

Kinetic’s Min/max/safety works different from a typical reorder level. Some people often assume that the MIN is “reactive” to an event in the future when you go below your min… but in reality, the MIN qty in Kinetic is “predictive” and uses scheduled demands to determine when you are predicted to go below the min, and then creates SUPPLY orders (Jobs, POs, or Transfer orders) to try to keep you above the min.

The challenge with past due jobs that are demanding inventory is that this demand is in the past, and therefore MRP sees you are going below the min in the past, and will attempt to rectify this. 

Because of the predictive nature of MRP, it is best to not have past due (or incorrectly scheduled) jobs, so that MRP actually creates real useable suggestions.