Question

Multi-Company Direct task

• 24 July 2021
  • 8 replies

I am trying to find other individuals running the Multi-Company process to see if they have ever experienced any server performance related issues with the Multi-Company process?

Have you every had an issue with you task agent and the frequency to which you run your multi-company process?

If you are using Multi-Company and consolidating I am curious has to what frequency you are running the process?

8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Benita,

We use the multicompany direct server process for the 3 companies we have. We have it scheduled as a non-continuous process that runs every 2 mins. I haven’t seen any performance issues with it, the only issue I have with it is very rarely some records get stuck in IntQueOut table and need to be cleared up (happens like 2-3 times a year). We do not use the consolidation from Epicor, I think Accounts does that in Excel or XL Connect.

Dragos

Thanks, we run the process every 10 minutes with 21 companies.  The process runs in roughly 5-6 minutes, so it is not starting over before it finishes.  We recently started having task agent issues and I'm trying to determine if this process could be the culprit.

Userlevel 1

What version are you on ? For example, we’re on 10.2.300.41 and, if we had 21 companies, that would mean a process for each company so you would have 21 processes starting in the same time. I can see why that would create issues as the default limit is 24 I think. We’re in the process of upgrading to 10.2.700.18 and I can see in the new version you can run a single process for all of your companies. 

LE: have you checked your task agent for errors ?

Dragos

We’re on 10.2.700.14 and run it every 5 minutes. Our volume is pretty low, so it completes quickly.

It was originally setup as continuous but would not stay running, regardless of anything we tried.

Haven’t had any general Task Agent issues.

We are on version 10.2.400.35 and we have a process set setup for Multi-Company direct to run all 21 companies in order we defined every 10 minutes.  It only takes roughly 5-6 minutes to run through all of the companies.   The max records that will process between companies is 1000, so if the company has more than that number of records it will not pick up the remaining records until the next time the company runs.

It’s been running fine with consolidating for the last 3+ years.  However, we have very recently starting having issues with our task agent not responding.

Userlevel 2

We are on 10.2.700.5 and run every 5 minutes.  I have a love hate relationship with this.  Most of the time transactions get stuck because someone thought they could add a new payment term or other reference entry in one company but not another.  When the bridge runs then the transaction gets stuck.  It really bugs me that this process is sequential so all transactions are stuck because of one bad one.

We had to setup SQL queries to alert us if  a record in IntQueIn was stuck.

Last situation I had (of course, while on holidays) was someone entered a strange character (0x03) into a purchasing comment in the parts table. This only created errors in the multi-company log and did not even get far enough to create records in IntQueIn to alert me.

Working with support I had to do a SQL Update (don’t try this at home) to eliminate the character in the Part table AND IMPart.

Epicor has done a nice job in recent releases to automatically keep the MRP log a reasonable size but the Multi-company log grows uncontrollably.  I would be interested what others do to control this and other logs. 

I would recommend reading the technical manual on multi-company to understand the process.  I had to talk the support person through things to check so knowing some background got the issue resolved quicker.

The linking process seems to be an pain when we are keeping our Part numbers and Customer ID’s consistent between companies.  I wish there was a way to make this automatic.  We have to authorize people that create parts to multiple companies in order to complete this step and this seems a risk.

Thanks, the only items we have running through the multi-company process at this time are Customer Records, Vendor records and GL information.  We do not have quotes, parts, or anything else running in Multi-company.   The volume stays relatively low, unless we are consolidating or adding  a new company.  I haven’t seen anything stuck in our IntQueOut or the IntQueIn in a long time.  

Thanks for the input.  We will continue to monitor our task agent issues, but the Multi-company process does not appear to be causing the issue with our task agent