Question

Scheduling Same Parts in Production

• 12 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello!

We have an issue with Scheduling and I’m thinking we can’t be the first company to have this type of problem; we run the same part number on back to back jobs and only need the set up hours on the first job.  The subsequent jobs carry the set up time which we don’t use, and it skews our production schedule.  (These parts are made complete in one operation.) 

I’m sure we could delete the set up ops on the subsequent jobs during job creation, but was wondering if there was an option in Epicor that would fix this issue without additional steps required of the planners.

Thanks!

Tracy

3 replies

Userlevel 2

You can combine jobs in Job Manager, basically moving the demand link from the second job to the first one so you have only a single set of operations to go through.

It might be worth considering.

Joe

That’s an interesting idea!  Thank you Joe.

Userlevel 4

At the time a job is created, Epicor can’t know where in the shift it’s to be scheduled related to any other jobs for the same part number.  Even if you normally schedule jobs for a particular method before or after others of the same method, I’m thinking you would need to include adequate setup time in your method, for any job using that method to be the one that bears the cost and schedule hit, associated with setup hours.  Some ideas on this:

• Use infinite scheduling to avoid Epicor planning too much time constraint for setups.
  • Find a way to combine all jobs of a like part number, to a single job per shift. (Qty > 1)
  • Install a BPM that, when a job is scheduled, looks for a prior one in the schedule and selectively deletes or reduces setup time.
  • Let jobs get created and scheduled with the known overage in setup time, but in MES have operators skip setup and go straight to production activity, if their workstation is already set up for production.
  • Have operators clock into multiple jobs, all of which will use combined setup time, during the setup phase of the job.
  • If all the parts are for the same customer, reduce the setup time in the Method to an average, so each job pays for a portion of the setup activity.
  • Try all ideas in Test, making sure to review costs after the simulation is over.

HTH

…...Monty.