Question

Selling a part with or without assembly?

• 30 July 2021
  • 2 replies

• New Participant
  • 0 replies

We have some parts that we resell either as-is or with assembly. (Think flat pack furniture.) Currently these are all non-stock/buy-to-order parts, but we anticipate some of them becoming stock parts. How would you set up the parts, sales orders, and jobs to capture the labor?

Thinking of how it would look to the customer, I’d like to put the unassembled item on the sales order and add a misc charge for assembly. But I don’t know how the misc charge would generate a job. Can misc charges create demand for “parts” that are just labor and no materials?

Another idea would be to have separate parts for the unassembled and assembled items. The unassembled part would be purchased and the assembled part would be manufactured. The assembled part would have the unassembled part as a material. I could probably automate syncing prices between unassembled and assembled parts.

2 replies

Userlevel 1

We struggle with the same thing. In our case these parts are configurable, just to make it more complicated. We have settled on 2 parts. Part A is a configured sales kit. (no assembly, so no labor) Part B is the same configurator but it is a manufactured item so instead of creating a kit it creates a job.

Userlevel 3

I would setup a complementary part that would be “Assembly”.

It would be a non-stock part that would create the job.

No need to issue any material to the job, but the labor would be captured to the job.

If you wanted to make it a single line, then instead of complementary, set up an upgrade part that would replace the part with the non-stock assembled product.  

Similarly, you could have a down grade button on the assembled unit to send just the kit.

Bruce