Solved

Serial Number Creation Ignoring Prefix

• 14 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4

Our serial number format for the part in question is Numeric Only, with a crafted Prefix.  On one part, and only one part,  the serial number format is as shown below (it’s the same as for several other parts which are working correctly) in Test, when I do a quick job entry for this part, then go into Serial Number Assignment and try to create a part number for the job, it’s trying to create an unformatted numeric serial number like 000000000000000000000004 rather than autoP-autoR-S10182-autoD0004 for example.  When I go through the exact steps with another part number, it suggests the properly constructed serial number.  And side by side, the two serial number format screens are identical.

The erring part has no stock on hand in Test, and no existing serial numbers.

Any ideas what could be causing Epicor to ignore my prefix for this item?

Thanks much

..Monty.

S/N Format

icon

Best answer by al 15 October 2021, 14:36

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3

We sometimes have things like this happen, mostly on new parts soon after setting them up. One thing we found was that changes on the Part Entry > Serial Number Format screen to the Prefix field don’t always get propagated to everyplace they need to be. The workaround for us is to change from Numeric Only to Alphanumeric, then Save in Part Entry so you get this screen:

Then change it back to Numeric with the Prefix and Number of Digits you really want, Then Save again. 

I think if you don’t see this warning when you make a change in Serial Number Format, it really isn’t being made in the database. 

This cycling of formats doesn’t seem to mess anything up with historic numeric serial numbers for us, but check for your self in Test to be sure.

Serial Number format is set in 2 places- on the Part > Detail tab, which really doesn’t mean anything if you don’t get the message from the prior reply and click Yes, and on the Sites tab. This allows you to create a default format, but still have a different format per Site, if needed. Check the format on the Site level, and correct it if the default format just isn’t being passed down to the Site.

Userlevel 4

Dear Andrew and LeAnn,

I wish I could mark both your responses as Best Answer but alas the site only allows one.  I didn’t recall that the PartPlant control existed; once I went in there the issue was completely understood and quickly fixed.  I believe either of your procedures would have made the same update in our system.  Thanks much for your help.

Also, the Serial Number Format panel behavior is flaky!  This is one of those areas that will save “changes” without clicking the Save icon, and those changes may be spontaneous, not made intentionally by the user.  With patience, it’s possible to get the Part S/N format and PartPlant S/N format, to be correct and to agree with each other.

All best

..Monty.

Userlevel 4

@al  @lmarruffo