Question

Shop Floor Hardware / Bartender / Network Printing

• 20 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone got any experience with Bartender and network printing? We are implementing shop floor right now our setup is as follows:

* Android Samsung A8 Tablets for production using Web based MES
* Bluetooth Datalogic scanners attached to each tablet
* Wifi Zebra printers networked via wireless to server with edgeagent running on the server
*Zebra TC22 hand scanners for picking/warehouse running epicor android mobile warehouse.

So we purchased Bartender 2022 for designing and running all the labels we require for purchase receipts, production and quality. We are using operational tags to replace our current job cards/need for job travellers.

I can print using network print options to test an output if the file is an SSRS report but i cannot use network print to print a bartender label (i should be able to select the network printer that will then map this into the output BT file and subsequently then print to the network printer via the integration builder.) I will eventually look at some auto print directives but the user will need to be able to override the printer if the one nearest isnt working or is busy etc and there will be around 20+ shop floor label printers.

How do i get around this if Epicor will only allow network print when SSRS is selected?

Many thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to you all :)

2 replies

We use Bartender to print a product label to a network printer.  Ours is setup to call a standard data directive when a custom check box is checked on the order header.  I have tried to set it up using order detail and support has told me that is not possible.  The printer is set in the directive and cannot be changed on a per order basis.  The setup was confusing but once we got it setup and working it is pretty flawless.

We use bartender for a number of labels. We have one standard integration for them all, so the ones in shipping and the ones in production are all passing through the same configuration and the specifics are defined in the file.

For the printer, it's important (at least in our setup) that the name of the printer defined in the file matches the name of the printer on the server. So if the printer on the server is called "Fuel ZT411-203dpi ZPL" then that's the name we have spell out in our file. If our users use the standard Epicor print dialog, it writes the name of the printer as it is on their client. If the two match, there's not a problem. However, if they don't match, then the integration gets a printer name that it doesn't recognize. For this reason, we tend to avoid the print dialogs and pass along the correct printer name through various means just to make sure things flow smoothly.