Question

Shop Floor Hardware / Bartender / Network Printing - Help

• 20 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone got any experience with Bartender and network printing? We are implementing shop floor right now our setup is as follows:

* Android Samsung A8 Tablets for production using Web based MES
* Bluetooth Datalogic scanners attached to each tablet
* Wifi Zebra printers networked via wireless to server with edgeagent running on the server
*Zebra TC22 hand scanners for picking/warehouse running epicor android mobile warehouse.

So we purchased Bartender 2022 for designing and running all the labels we require for purchase receipts, production and quality. We are using operational tags to replace our current job cards/need for job travellers.

I can print using network print options to test an output if the file is an SSRS report but i cannot use network print to print a bartender label (i should be able to select the network printer that will then map this into the output BT file and subsequently then print to the network printer via the integration builder.) I will eventually look at some auto print directives but the user will need to be able to override the printer if the one nearest isnt working or is busy etc and there will be around 20+ shop floor label printers.

How do i get around this if Epicor will only allow network print when SSRS is selected?

Many thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to you all :)

3 replies

Userlevel 1

We use bartender and like it.  You must implement custom data directives to implement it.

I would be glad to talk to someone about our experience.

John Siemens

jsiii@siemensmfg.com

Userlevel 2

We have been using BT since 2014 and recently upgraded to 2022.  It is very different from previous versions, including having to re-create new labels for printing.  Our shop floor has struggled with print functions since Epicor’s move to Kinetics - loading printers to select is the issue, taking more than 5 minutes at a time.  As mentioned above, the solution is data directives and assigned workstations (default printers for each user).  

If anyone has a found a faster load or better solution for printing with Kinetics I am interested.

cch

Userlevel 1

SSRS can also be used to create labels with barcodes.  This does not require the additional purchase of the Bartender software.  Using the auto print/data directives, the labels are output to the requested printer.  This works for both SAAS or On-Prem installations of ERP.  The data control, function building, and ability to control the number of labels has been found easier in SSRS than Bartender.  Bartender requires an output file to generate the label.  SSRS can connect directly to the ERP database.

Hope this helps,

CodaBears / Epicor Midwest User Group Chairperson

Calvin Dekker