Question

Updatable File Attachments

• 5 August 2021
  • 2 replies

We would like to have an updatable PDF file attached to the Job header. We would like to have users, open this file from Job Tracker, enter some data (check a box for example) then save the file. 

Is this possible, and has anyone found an easy way to do this?

2 replies

Userlevel 3

You can make a PDF form and attach it to the job and it it would be updateable as long as the file was saved where users could get to it and the filename was unique to the job (so that job1 doesn’t overwrite job2’s information). 

But if there is information you are tracking via PDF, wouldn’t you track it in Epicor?  Add some fields in Epicor to track the data, then you can generate the PDF so that it’s accurate and you can always regenerate it from the data in Epicor or on job completion have a process automatically generate and save the PDF out somewhere - even attach it to some other records in Epicor.  The point of an ERP is to have one source of information that everyone can get to.  Having a PDF outside of Epicor, you lose that information tracking.  That would be just like having an Excel file outside of Epicor that purchasing uses for some purpose. 

Just my 2 cents.

Laurel, I don't want to trash your idea but I agree with Fred, wouldn't UD fields attached to the relevant table  accomplish this better?

You could then build either a dashboard or a custom SSRS Report that everyone could access?

Hope this helps 🙂